Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day of First Appt

It's Tuesday, the day of my preliminary appointment. I'm finding that I am very weak in the face of authority. As I think back to the phone call I initially made to get this appointment, I was going to ask for a "free consultation", as advertised on the website of Dr. B. But the cheery receptionist distracted me with questions, and then as we were figuring out a date for the appt, she said something like "We might as well just start the cleaning on this first visit!" in such a firm and positive way, that I thought I would sound abnormal if I said "uh, well, no...er......" so I stupidly said "Oh, okay!" trying to match her chipperness.

I know -- receptionists aren't mind readers, and even though I told her I was nervous, she didn't seem to realize that I'm actually phobic. I must keep in mind that I'm in charge, that I can "fire" these people if they don't make me feel comfortable, etc etc.

But I'm very very anxious right now. The appointment is at 10:30 and I'm already up, showered, etc and it isn't even 8 a.m.

I'm a bus rider, which is another potential problem. I just can't see myself taking a bus home from a dental visit where I've had sedation dental work or some horrible bloody procedure. I guess I can take a taxi, but money is always an issue.

Expenses! Dentists are horribly expensive. Yes, I have insurance but -- if you can believe this -- it MAXES OUT at $1500 a year. I was completely SHOCKED to discover that last night as I was anxiously looking over my coverage. $1500 will barely get me a cleaning and x-rays, for chrissake.

More on that, and the "donations" button to the right, another time.

No comments: