Wednesday, August 09, 2006

fourth quadrant!

This morning was my final visit with JC for the perioscopy. The fourth quadrant -- sounds like an episode of Star Trek, doesn't it? The Fourth Quadrant, where the Starship Enterprise slipped into a wormhole and Dr Spock turned into a bunny rabbit on steroids...okay I digress....

Anyway! So now all four quadrants are super duper deep cleaned all the way down to their little roots:

I asked JC if I would need to have this procedure every year or two, and she said no, not for at least five years. Hallelujah! She also recommended a SonicCare toothbrush. I used to have one but when the battery died I just didn't buy a new one. But I will now. As it was explained to me, the sonic waves disrupt the formation of calculus (that's the hard stuff that has to be scraped off teeth). And I am sick to death of calculus!! So I will go out and buy one tomorrow. They're not cheap - I think I paid $80 for my last one, and replacement brushes are criminally expensive, just like everything else in dentistry.

My next step is to go back in six weeks for a checkup. The dentist doesn't want to start any actual dental work until the Emdogain and perioscapy has had a chance to do its thing, grow a little bone and get the deep pockets reattached. I'm taking my low dose tetracycline every day, as well as a multitude of Vitamins. Particularly Im taking lots of Vitamin C which promotes healing.

(as an aside...if you're ever facing surgery of ANY kind, where you'll have an IV in your arm, DEMAND that vitamin C be put in the IV - it works miracles in the healing process!)

Here's my best case scenario: in six weeks time, my tissue, gums, bone and whatever else is in there will be sufficiently healed and strong that we can go ahead with dental work. I still want my Invisaligns!!! I need some kind of orthodontia to straighten the teeth and stop the overcrowding that is one of my big problems. I also want the teeth whitened.

Over the next few days I will try to get a photo of the teeth on this blog. Despite all JC's hard work, she hasn't done anything in terms of appearance -- all her work is beneath the surface, so to speak. So the appearance of my smile is still pretty bad. Check back in a few days and hopefully I'll have something for you.

No comments: