Friday, June 09, 2006

Insurance

Well, I got a notice from the insurance company yesterday, and I'm trying to decipher it. It seems that the Oral/Facial Imaging charge of $25 is not covered, nor is the Diagnostic Cast at $185.00. This is at odds with what the dental office told me, and in fact they sent me a bill that included these two items listed as "paid by insurance". So I don't know if I now owe this $210 or not.

And I still haven't had a lick of treatment yet.

This bill is interesting, though, because it lists these things:

PLAN MAXIMUM: $1500
ORTHO MAXIMUM: 750
ORTHOGNATHIC MAXIMUM: 5000
TMJ MAXIMUM 500

Does anyone know what those things are? I mean, I know the plan max is the annual max for regular treatment of things like cleanings, fillings, etc. And the ortho I assume is braces? bridges? But what is orthognathic? Dictionary.com defines it as having a jaw that does not project forward. What in God's name does that mean? I'm sure I don't qualify, but maybe I could get my dentist to lie and say some of the work he's doing is orthognathic. Any chance???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is kind of a cryptic bill. I'd definitely get on the horn with the insurance company, and ask them what all of that is about. Orthogenic might apply to jawbone-related work? (When decay goes straight down to the jawbone and erodes it) So maybe that's what it is...dunno, you got me. Give them a call and see.

Dental Hell said...

Thanks for the comment, I'll do it, and I'll post the response.