Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Perio

Well, I screwed up my courage and called the periodontist. The person who answered the phone was discouraging - he said that Emdogain is "not for everyone" and "if you have extensive bone loss, it may not be for you."

Excuse my French, but this so pisses me off. Because when you look at their website, and at other websites that tout the miracle that is supposed to be Emdogain, they ALL imply that it's a viable alternative for anyone with any kind of bone loss. In fact, there are x-rays on a number of sites that show miraculous bone regeneration.

Really, the dishonesty and greed in the dental industry is a serious, serious problem.

So I persisted, and he finally set up an appointment. Late July was the earliest he could "fit me in". And what was the next thing out of his mouth? "Initial exams cost $170, and we ask that you take care of that at the beginning of the appointment." (He also said that Emdogain is very expensive, and can run $4000 for the treatment. I laughed and laughed, because that's pennies compared with what Dr Bryant is proposing.)

It's all about money, folks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was probably just saying that to cover his ass -- in the event that you didn't 'qualify' for the treatment. But since it's money for them if you do qualify, they probably try and qualify as many people as possible, yes? That would work in your favor.

Sorry I keep posting anonymously, but I don't have a Blogger account. :) I'm one of the people from Dental Phobia forum, just following your progress.

Dental Hell said...

I don't mind anonymous posts -- I welcome them. And your advice is good. Thanks (and I think you're right that they would definitely want me to qualify)!