Friday, July 21, 2006

cleaning redux

One of the purposes of this blog is to hopefully let other people learn from my experiences. And what I learned -- about myself, at least -- is that I shouldn't try to bite off more than I can chew (figuratively, of course!). I was hopeful that we could do a couple of quadrants yesterday, but when I got there, I realized that I am really only capable of sitting in the chair for a limited time (despite the fact that these chairs have memory foam padding, which makes for a rather more pleasant sit than most dental offices). Thinking of doing two quadrants began to seem a little overwhelming. I need to know things like "how much longer" and "when can I get out of here?" So JC and I agreed to go one quadrant at a time.

And I also think dentists and hygenists are a little like hairdressers. They need to get to know you, your needs, the way your hair (or teeth) respond. And that requires building up a bit of a relationship. JC knew this time to numb the hell out of my mouth before even beginning to clean. And whooo-eeee did she numb my mouth. I wonder if that's what Botox feels like, becuase honestly you couldn't move a muscle if you tried.

So the upshot is that we did the upper left quadrant in about an hour and a half, it was 80% less painful (I did still feel a couple of pokes, especially near the end as the numbing agent began to wear off). I tried to do a Zen kind of thing where if I felt anything, I just "went somewhere else" in my mind, which also helped a little. Believe me, any and all tricks you can use to make time go faster, and to reduce any pain, are worth it.

JC has a little radio she'll let you listen to, and a warm blanket if you want it. Some dental offices even offer movies. I've always thought it would be way cool if they brought in a foot masseuse so you could have a pedicure while the hygenist works, that way, you'd be gorgeous "head to toe", literally, when the time is up!

But seriously, the point is, do what you need to do to make your dental visits as comfortable as possible. Don't be afraid to speak up, ask for what you need, mention any concerns, do mental exercises, and most of all, keep the lines of communication open.

I go back on the 31st for the next quadrant, and the last one will be in August. Then the fun begins all over again...I want my old fillings replaced, I want some kind of braces to help with the crowding and spacing, I want them whitened. But that's all still down the road a ways.

But have you noticed I'm much calmer now? Well, I am. And you will be, too, after a few times in the chair!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.