Thursday, July 27, 2006

A progress report

So it's been about a week now since the upper left quadrant was deep cleaned, and about two weeks for the upper right. Several things are happening. First, two or three distinct spots on the upper inside of my mouth are really sensitive to heat, cold and sugar. It's as if some nerves were laid bare. I'm hoping this is only temporary, as it makes it hard to drink cold water (and it's been in the 90s here) or eat ice cream!! Second, the upper gums are becoming a much healthier color, much pinker and much less red. It's easy to see the contrast between the upper and lower gums. Also, I had one tooth that you could wiggle a little bit, and it seems to be more firmly planted now.

I know the healing process is a long one, and I am doing clumsy visualization exercises when I have time -- trying to imagine the bone and gums growing and regenerating. ONly time will tell whether this will happen, but I'm hopeful.

My significant other just left for his first appointment in ten years. I'm anxiously awaiting his return. I just hope hope hope he doesn't need too much work done.

That's it for now. Next appt is Monday, when JC will deep clean and periostat one lower quadrant. She said she can give me a nerve block so that I'll be profoundly numb this time. That's an important phrase -- profoundly numb. Remember to use it the next time you go to the dentist: "Doc, I want to be profoundly numb before you start sticking sharp objects in my mouth."

No comments: